Thursday, April 28, 2011

Homemade French Fries!

Yes I know this is an old trade made by many.....but my new discovery is quite exciting! 
So.......if you have a cooling rack(meant for cookies) you can make your fries this way and save yourself many many calories AND make enough for 1, 2, or how ever many!
1 baking potato actually makes 2 servings.....oh a generous serving for one. (I love a fry so I eat a whole potato)
Preheat your oven to 425.
To prepare your fries. Take a baking potato and cut in half. Cut each half into 1/2 inch slices long ways. If you want fatter fries feel free to cut them thicker. Then cut each of those slices into shoestrings. Sorry, I am not one of those bloggers that will give you step by step pictures. If you don't know what a shoestring french fry is......Google it. haha One tip I will give you is that a sharp knife is key! It makes a world of difference. In a large bowl toss your potatoes with EVOO and ANY spice you want. Old Bay is delicious, Janes Krazy Mixed Up Salt is tasty too. You could also toss with fresh herbs! yummy!
Next cover a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Place your cooling rack on top. Lay your potatoes on top in even layer. 
Bake your fries for about 30 minutes, or until brown and crispy. Obviously the longer you bake them the crispier they will be. The genius of the cooling rack is that you never have to flip your potatoes and they get crispy all the way through. These are the best fries you will ever eat, and I promise that you will never buy Ore Ida again! I don't even need ketchup.
Feel free to try this with a sweet potato too. They are yummy with salt. Drizzle with honey when they come out of the oven! 

1 comment:

  1. I love doing fries like this!! You are right it is sooooo yummy (and MUCH better for you)! And I also do sweet potatoes, they are delish too!

    ReplyDelete