Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Childhood favorite made healthy

As a child one of my favorite meals was Pecos casserole, so much so that it was my birthday dinner request. There is something oh so comforting about a casserole. Pecos casserole was a hamburger helper like dinner with Hormel chili as its base. Needless to say it was not a healthy meal, but boy was it yummy! A few weeks ago I had a craving for it, but Pecos and losing weight do not go together so I got to brainstorming a new, healthier version that would still take me back to great childhood memories. The similarity in taste of the new recipe to the original is spot on! SO excited!  I will first provide you the original recipe so that you are able to compare the difference. This recipe makes enough for 4 portions or a great dinner for 2 with leftovers and believe me the leftovers are just as tasty! Serve alongside a yummy salad. 


Pecos Casserole: The Original


1 can Hormel Chili(with beans)
1 can corn
1/2 onion diced
1/2 bell pepper diced
1 cup cheddar cheese
1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni


Cook noodles according to package directions. In large skillet saute onion and pepper in EVOO. Add corn and chili. Stir in cooked macaroni and cheese. Serve! 


Pecos Casserole: Revamped Healthier Version


1 can chili beans(rinsed)
1 cup Birds Eye corn with bell peppers(Steamfresh)
1/2 cup diced onion
1 pkg Reduced Sodium Old El Paso Taco Seasoning
1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese(if you really want to cut calories feel free to use that nasty rubber fat free cheese:) )


Cook macaroni and drain. In skillet saute onion and corn. Add can of beans and taco seasoning. Stir in elbow macaroni and cheese. Enjoy! 

1 comment:

  1. This sounds DELICIOUS! I'm totally going to make this for myself. And I love the comment about fat free cheese - I feel the same way! Haha.

    ReplyDelete